Lighting for Low Vision – Tips & Tricks
Small adjustments can often make a big difference when it comes to lighting for low vision. Here we offer some tips on how to improve the lighting around your house and how to use contrasting colors to your advantage. Let’s start with lighting and contrast awareness.
LIGHTING FOR LOW VISION: LIGHTING & CONTRAST AWARENESS
Contrast is the difference between the color or shading of the printed material on a document and the background on which it is printed.
- Try to illuminate rooms evenly, because it is difficult for your eyes to adjust going from a dim room to a bright room.
- Take special precautions to illuminate areas such as hallways and stairways, railings, and bathrooms for safety.
LIGHTING FOR LOW VISION: CONTRAST ENHANCEMENTS
- Use dishes which provide contrast with the foods you are eating. Placemats under the dishes can also provide contrast. Pour liquid into contrasting colored containers such as coffee in a white mug or milk into a dark glass.
- Try a light cutting board for dark foods.
- Use a task light for food when eating.
- Choose black ink when writing.
- Make stairways safer by placing a brightly colored strip of tape along the edge of each stair.
LIGHTING FOR LOW VISION: LIGHT CONTROL
It’s also important to control the lighting in your home so as to soften harsh light and minimize glare.
- Reposition TVs and computer monitors so that light is not reflecting off the screens.
- It can be helpful to cover shiny surfaces such as floors and tabletops.
- Place your task under a direct light source that will minimize reflections and glare .
- Window treatments– curtains, shades and blinds.
- Diffusing light– translucent filters like shades or globes will soften light.
LIGHTING FOR LOW VISION: STELLA
In summary, light sources, contrast awareness, and lighting control are all important considerations when lighting the home.
If you find the need for a task light or floor lamp while assessing your home’s lighting, may we suggest the Stella line? We are currently offering a sale on both the Stella TWO LED Desk Lamp and StellaSKY TWO LED Floor Lamp. Please visit our product pages for more details.
We hope these tips are helpful to you.