Kurzweil 1000 Overview
Kurzweil 1000 is easy to use for beginners, yet powerful and flexible for advanced users. Its wide array of features will save users time and help them gain independence—whether at home, at school, or at work.
The software speaks text aloud in a variety of natural-sounding voices that can be modified to individual preferences. In addition, the software gives users the ability to write and edit documents, and to complete simple forms independently. It includes features for note taking, summarizing content, and outlining text.
Kurzweil 1000 delivers quick access to virtually any content, including online books, magazines, dictionaries, and encyclopedias, so readers can pursue the interests they want. They can also take their reading wherever they go by sending files to Braille note takers and embossers, and to portable devices such as DAISY and MP3 audio players.
Kurzweil 1000 Key Features
Professionals and students find Kurzweil 1000’s comprehensive time-saving study tools extremely useful. Add bookmarks, text notes, and annotations; skim, summarize, and create outlines for your work, and have your documents open to the last position read. Plus, you’ll have access to eighteen bilingual dictionaries.
Simple Forms Recognition and Completion
The Kurzweil software provides easy access to most printed forms and presents them with the fields, labels, boxes, and text areas in the appropriate reading order. Fill in the fields, edit, save, and print — even insert your handwritten signature into the form, or any Kurzweil 1000 document, once it’s scanned into your computer.
Choices for More Accurate Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
Two OCR engines, ScanSoft© OCR 16.2 and ABBYYTM FineReader 9, provide the most accurate available OCR. For the best possible scanning results, Kurzweil 1000 also has the ability to correct many errors. A noise filter option lets users ignore regions near the edge of a page that were incorrectly identified as text.
State-of-the-Art Speech Options
Clear, natural-sounding VoiceTextTM voices from Neo Speech, and ETI-EloquenceTM voices from Nuance, deliver the highest quality text-to-speech (TTS), making your reading a pleasure to hear. You can choose and adjust the many voice options to suit your individual preference.
Appointment Calendar with Audible Reminders
Keep track of your schedule with the easy-to-use calendar application. You can add, edit, and delete your calendar entries simply from the desktop taskbar, as well as set audible reminders that will play any sound file on your computer you choose.
Online Information Search and Retrieval
Enjoy quick access to information from a variety of sources, including e-books, magazines, encyclopedias, and the Merriam-Webster medical dictionary. Based on your criteria, Kurzweil 1000 will search select Internet repositories such as Bookshare.org, NLS Web Braille, AccessWorld, Talking Newspaper Association of the United Kingdom, NFB Publications, the Columbia Encyclopedia, and Wikipedia (in multiple languages), and present you with your download choices.
Read Files Away From Home and Burn CDs
Kurzweil 1000 can send your files to Braille NoteTM, Book PortTM, Book Courier, MaestroTM, and other handheld devices so you can read and reference important material when away from your home or office computer. You can also create CDs of your files within Kurzweil 1000 if you have a CD burner.
Broad Range of File Access
Any file type that you can print through an application installed on your computer can be opened with Kurzweil 1000 (including PDF), which greatly expands your reading choices.
Other Notable Features
- Supports low vision users with magnification and highlighting functions.
- Provides easy access to common business applications (Calculator, Photocopier, and Fax). Scans within Microsoft Word.
- Sends files through popular e-mail applications.
- A New User Wizard – Topic-based mini tutorials to help new users get started quickly.
- Dictionary Tools – The new Pronounce button speaks the word, while the Anagram button finds all anagrams associated with the word.
- Three Image Viewing Modes – Show image for maximized display and continuous reading and paging functions, show both image and text for split screen, or hide image for text-only display.
- Document sending – Kurzweil 1000 v12 now supports any device that emulates a disk drive on a PC, making it possible to send files to virtually any existing or expected future device type.
- PDF bookmarks – When opening a PDF file and converting to a KESI file, the conversion will automatically include bookmarks extracted from the original files.
- Save Recognition – The save recognition feature enables returning to place in the document where the reading left off.
- MP3 Encoder – The MP3 encoder is for the conversion of audio files. Kurzweil 1000 provides access to an encoder that may be downloaded via the internet.
- Daisy Files – Kurzweil 1000 v12 will convert audio files from any WAV or MP3 file to Daisy 2.02.